Foulston Siefkin prides itself on meeting the comprehensive legal needs of governmental entities, including cities, counties, state agencies, and federal law-enforcement personnel. In addition to defending litigating claims made against our governmental clients, we provide a variety of services including pre-dispute counseling designed to minimize the risk of litigation. The breadth of experience Foulston Siefkin delivers to its governmental clients encompasses FLSA and wage payment questions, employee handbook and training programs, employer defense in discrimination, retaliation, whistle-blower, and all other employment-related lawsuits, land-use and related disputes, and civil rights claims involving law enforcement, elections, zoning, and other ordinances.
Representative examples of the services Foulston Siefkin offers include the following:
• Kansas counties. Foulston has a long and proud history of representing counties throughout the state in litigation and in counseling for risk management and litigation avoidance.
• Kansas government. Foulston serves the interests of the Kansas state government and its agencies in state and federal tribunals.
• Kansas educational institutions. Foulston has and continues to represent the interests of universities and colleges in matters, including personnel, contract drafting, and a variety of disputes.
• City governments. Foulston represents cities on a wide range of issues from employment counseling to governmental liability to land use litigation.
• Federal law enforcement. Foulston represents federal law enforcement officers in civil rights litigation, including Bivens claims.
• Educational programs. Foulston attorneys host internal “lunch and learn” programs for HR personnel, municipal attorneys and others. Our attorneys are presenters at statewide programs including the Kansas Association of Counties, the Kansas Clerk’s Association, the City Attorneys’ Association of Kansas, the County Counselors of Kansas, and others
Areas of Representation
Alternate Dispute Resolution
Annexation and Boundary Disputes
Appraisal and Taxation Disputes
Bidding, Contracting, and Leasing
Building and Construction Contract Disputes
Condemnation and Right-of-Way
Conflicts of Interest
Employee Benefits / ERISA
Employment & Labor
Land Use and Zoning
Liability Insurance and Self-Insurance
Open Meetings and Open Records
Parks and Recreation Accidents
Police Law Enforcement Liability
Public Official Liability
School District Policy
Special Education Issues
Technology / Privacy
Utilities and Utility Regulation
Wage & Hour